Salad Nicoise Recipe
By KC Kudra
The following recipe for Salad Nicoise serves six people as a main dish or ten as an appetizer. The combination of tuna, beans, tomatoes, potatoes and more is heavenly. No wonder this salad has stood the test of time. You can use shallots instead of green onions if you want, and halved cherry tomatoes instead of regular tomatoes.
You will need:
- 1 head Boston lettuce
- 2 tablespoon minced green onions
- 1 lb green beans, cooked until al dente
- 4 ripe tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1/4 cup vinegar mixed with 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons chopped, fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoon capers
- 1/4 cup small black pitted olives
- 1 can anchovies
- 4 small potatoes, boiled, peeled and sliced
- 6 oz canned, oil packed tuna
- 6 cold hard boiled eggs, halved lengthwise
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
How to make it:
Wash the lettuce, then separate the leaves and let them dry. Arrange them on a big serving platter.
Toss together some of the oil and vinegar mixture with the beans, green onions and some salt and pepper. Arrange the potato slices in the center of the serving platter. Arrange green beans at both ends of the serving platter.
Baste the tomatoes with some of the oil and vinegar and arrange them, and the tuna, on the serving platter. Surround the salad with the egg halves, yolk facing up. Put an anchovy on top of each egg half, then spoon the remaining oil and vinegar over everything. Decorate the platter with the parsley, olives, and capers and serve immediately.